REM Affordable Luxury - without costing the earth
REM UK Ltd are committed to providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and minimises our potential impact on the environment. REM UK Ltd will operate in compliance with all relevant environmental legislation and will strive to use pollution prevention and environmental best practices in all we do.
Corporate Social Responsibility Policy
We run our business in the 'greenest' way possible and although we don't claim to be saving the world with a few generic environmental policies we do face up to our responsibilities both as a company and as a group of individuals and try to make a difference.
Waste costs money, stretches resources and it screams of inefficiency and incompetence. We have a policy but for years we've educated and encouraged our staff to plan and use best practice to reduce waste.
Our CSR is more than just a statement of good intent, we have broken it down into real processes that we have implemented and which will continue to develop and grow in the future, for the good.
"Sowing the seeds of change into our team to work, act and be conscious of how they carry out their day to day activities will ensure that in the future acting environmentally will become second nature ".
At REM we realise, that due to the nature of our business our carbon emissions are relatively low.
As well as the fundamental changes we have made to our business over the years, we have also made a series of small internal steps throughout our company to help reduce our environmental impact even further, we realise that these small steps can make a BIG difference if we all get involved.
- Recycling paper.
- 'Think Before you Print' policy.
- Recycling card and plastic.
- We recycle toner cartridges.
- We use motion sensor LED low energy lighting to light only used space. All other lights, heating and standbys are turned off when not in use.
- Where possible all timber based products are sourced from sustainable forestland under FSC chain of custody.
- All our waste timber is used to heat areas of the factory by the efficient use of an environmentally friendly wood burning system.
- We maintain our vehicles in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.
- We encourage our drivers to adhere to speed limits.
- We check our tyre pressures regularly and monitor fuel consumption.
- We reuse sample furniture.
- We work with and assess our manufacturers to ensure optimisation of processes and encourage them to reduce packaging.
We reduce unnecessary travel by car - we promote conference calling and optimise route planning.
All REM electrical products meet the environmental directives such as WEEE and RoHS.
REM UK Ltd will:-
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities.
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Train, educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work.
- Reduce waste through reusing and recycling and by purchasing recycled, recyclable or refurbished products and materials where these alternatives are available, economical and suitable.
- Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout our facility including water, electricity, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non-renewable.
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment where such materials must be used, stored and disposed of.
- Purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly.
- Where required by legislation or where significant health and safety or environmental hazards exist, develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response programmes.
- Communicate our environmental commitment to clients, customers and the public and encourage them to support it.
- Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimise the social impact and damage of activities by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.